On Fri, Mar 10, 2017 at 09:25:23AM +0100, haaber wrote:

> >> main problem with xfce menu editor is it doesn't let you "abuse" it lol.
> >> like creating or deleting new entries.  Which would be much easier then
> >> editing some files like a developer.
> >>
> >> Would that command also help other default shortcuts like shortcut for
> >> dom0 desktop settings?
> >
> > Actually  I gotta say Bernhard if that happened to me I would freak the
> > heck out and probably reinstall the whole system from another iso.  Do you
> > know how it happened or what you were doing possibly cuased it, if I'm
> > understanding you correctly? You are missing the settings shortcut? Were
> > you tinkering with anything?
>
> This is not the only 'strange' thing, and I wait the first occasion of 1
> day without anything good to do to reinstall everything. Hope this
> happens before Q4 comes out .. I already tested emergency backup of
> data, via a live-usb key break-in into my crypto-descs. Knowing that I
> am able to do that is relaxing a lot :)
>
> So: Unman's command worked for debian menu item, but it does not work
> for dom0.
> Would be too easy! But he pointed a page to read, so I rtfm.
>
> Thnaks a lot, guys! Bernhard

Hello Berhard,

I should apologise for the tone of my last email to you, which was
pretty short. It was the end of a stressful day.

Xfce menus are (relatively) easy to understand.

There are environment variables that are important:
you can see these by running 'env|grep XDG' in dom0.
XDG_DATA_DIRS, XDG_MENU_PREFIX and XDG_CONFIG_DIRS are important in this
context.

My guess is that you have CONFIG_DIRS at /etc/xdg.
That mean that your menus are sourced from /etc/xdg/menus.
If XDG_MENU_PREFIX is xfce- then the main menu will be at
/etc/xdg/menus/xfce-applications.menu

None of the other files in that directory matter for the moment.
Menus are built by combining the contents of .desktop files, and a bit
of magic to group them together. It's the .desktop files that are
important.
These are found (among other places) in XDG_DATA_DIRS - usually
/usr/share/applications and /usr/local/share/applications

If ALL your dom0 entries have disappeared then I suspect that the desktop
files have been deleted from those directories, or moved.

So, have a look in /usr//share/applications - there should be many
.desktop files.

If there aren't all is not lost - you can look for them using 'find -name
*desktop' as root - I'd look in /lib., /usr and /var.
NB Dont get excited about any desktop files you see in xfce/helpers -
those aren't what you want.
What you want are files that aren't prefixed "qubes", but just say (e.g
xfce4-terminal.desktop) If you find one open it in a text editor and
make sure that it contains a line "Exec "

If you have a fedora template then  you could look in the
/etc/share/applications folder there, find the desktop files you want and
copy them to dom0. There isn't a simple way of doing this but there is a
guide here:
www.qubes-os.org/doc/copy-from-dom0/

Alternatively, reinstalling the packages you are concerned about should,
I think, reinstate the desktop files.
sudo dnf reinstall <package>

Or you could write your own .desktop file, or search for one on the web.
If you are really stuck I can send you some.

Note that you don't need ALL the shortcuts for dom0, because you
wouldn't/shouldn't be running programs there- so you only need menu
entries for the programs that you do need - probably terminal and
Settings manager.

Once you have the .desktop files in /usr/share/applications, the menu
entries should reappear - you can force this by running "xfdesktop
--reload", or by logging out and logging back in.

I hope this is of some help. If you need further help let us know.

unman