On Friday, March 31, 2017 at 10:45:28 PM UTC-4, cooloutac wrote:
> On Friday, March 31, 2017 at 4:20:09 PM UTC-4, Vít Šesták wrote:
> > Thanks for your responses. p
> >
> > In this thread, I'd like to discuss how much can it help (i.e., how hard is
> > it to bypass).
> >
> > On self-encrypting devices: I generally don't trust those implementations
> > to be well-reviewed and well-designed, so SED is not a use case for me.
> >
> > Regards,
> > Vít Šesták 'v6ak'
>
> I think secure boot would make it better, but maybe a controversial thing to
> say.  I don't know much about this subject myself, but I don't think it
> actually stops anything.  Just lets you know if something has changed.  Like
> a file integrity program kind of.
>
> And if something does change there is no fix so you will have to replace all
> the hardware.  (If thats something you're willing to do).
>
> You can also do other things like nail polish on screws or crevices. photo
> them before you leave it unattended... strongbox? lol

Actually I say all that but supposedly hacking teams insyde bios hack worked
remotely also. So maybe physical attack is not only vector, especially now we
know that its possible for intel me to turn on wifi when we don't know it.  Or
some have some cellular connections.  Even vpro/ME first came out was always
for adminstering pcs remotely if off or crashed os.