Thanks for the reply!

my ~/.local/share/applications/mimeapps.list is a bit different than yours,
really I was most interested in it handling http/https

[Default Applications]
text/html=open_work_vm.desktop
x-scheme-handler/http=open_work_vm.desktop
x-scheme-handler/https=open_work_vm.desktop
x-scheme-handler/about=open_work_vm.desktop
x-scheme-handler/unknown=open_work_vm.desktop

I tried just copying/pasting yours into mine (just for kicks) but that
didn't work either :(