On Monday, May 29, 2017 at 3:13:32 PM UTC-7, Eric Duncan wrote:
> Thanks Vit and Dave C!
>
> @Dave:
>
> Yep, USB sticks get too hot - and the USB2 sticks I tried were far too slow
> for my taste.
>
> I have a couple of these laying around from previous laptop builds:
>
> https://www.amazon.com/Transcend-128GB-MSA370-mSATA-TS128GMSA370/dp/B00K64HXAA/?tag=eduncan911-20
>
> Was going to use one and the smallest msata usb3 adapter I could find, like
> this:
>
> https://www.newegg.com/Product/Product.aspx?Item=9SIA6V83ZJ7496
>
> But didn't want to buy that, and go through the trouble of setting things up
> and migrating over if it was going to have problems.
>
> Hearing that you have a multi-machine setup, with just a tweak it seems,
> assures me.
>
> Ordering today!
>
> Thank you guys!
> Eric
>
> On Monday, May 29, 2017 at 8:59:16 AM UTC-4, Dave C wrote:
> > On Saturday, May 27, 2017 at 12:23:37 AM UTC-7, Vít Šesták wrote:
> > > I've asked some slightly similar question like a month ago. I was told I
> > > should run dracut without hostonly mode in order to have all the modules
> > > I need.
> > >
> > > Your case is a bit harder. You would need to either run dracut after any
> > > kernel update (without this, it might make Qubes unbootable on other
> > > machines than the one you have updated it from) or reconfigure dracut
> > > (like edit something in /etc) if possible.
> > >
> > > Regards,
> > > Vít Šesták 'v6ak'
> >
> > To always run dracut without hostonly, make a file
> > /etc/dracut.conf.d/no-hostonly.conf, and in there put:
> >
> > hostonly="no"
> >

> > I do the above to have a portable Qubes that I can boot on multiple
> > machines.  Mostly this works fine, but occasional issues:
> >
> > * If you ever assign PCI devices, those will of course change from machine
> > to machine.
> > * I find USB sticks get hot, and slow.  I recommend installing on a
> > portable SSD instead (which can plug into USB port).
> > * I have a laptop which boots incredibly slowly.  There is a roughly 2
> > minute delay in the boot process.  I suspect it is waiting for PS/2, but
> > the machine has none. Although I'm not sure, and not sure how to
> > troubleshoot.
> >
> > -Dave

I'm using an SSD similar to this, which is easily portable:
https://www.google.com/url?q=https%3A%2F%2Fwww.newegg.com%2FProduct%2FProduct.aspx%3FItem%3D9SIA6V83ZJ7496&sa=D&sntz=1&usg=AFQjCNEhmEmGAIBVz5A7wE34AkTjUr60zw

(I don't see the brand I have featured on Amazon anymore.)

One nuisance is when moving that from one machine to another, I typically have
to make a netvm per computer I boot, because they use different hardware.
After moving the drive to a new machine, I have to stop the firewall and netvm,
switch which netvm the firewall users, then start an appvm.

-Dave