On Tue, Jun 27, 2017 at 06:03:28PM -0700, Ken J wrote:
> Hi Unman,
>
> That miiiiight be the case more times than not (working on my search
> skills) :) I want to start by thanking you for your work. Amazing
>
> I was a bit confused throughout this process because had the ./setup
> telling me to make install-deps, make get-sources, make qubes-vm, make
> template. I've got https://www.qubes-os.org/doc/qubes-builder/ telling me
> something different. Then there's
> https://www.qubes-os.org/doc/templates/ubuntu/ telling don't worry it's
> easy with no instruction. Then there is this thread telling me if I have an
> issue please bump to master and try something else. My build fails and like
> the poor sap that I am I have no idea if it's me, my setup, qubes, or
> trump.
>
> Maybe I'm using all of the wrong search terms, qubes + ubuntu + debootstrap
> + mount, no clue what the answer is all I got that looked remotely close to
> my search was this thread.
>
> On Tue, Jun 27, 2017 at 5:54 PM, Unman <un...@thirdeyesecurity.org> wrote:
>
> > On Wed, Jun 28, 2017 at 01:44:03AM +0100, Unman wrote:
> > try it
> > build.)

> > components)

> > from having a failure in debootstrap at the make template stage to a
> > failure at the make qubes-vm stage.

> > to run command 'mount': No such file or directory" where I could see mount
> > was in the /bin dir when I mounted and checked.

> > cannot find files.
> > No such file or directory
> > avahi-daemon.service.d/30_qubes.conf debian/qubes-core-agent//lib/
> > systemd/system/avahi-daemon.service.d/ returned exit code 1

> > per https://github.com/QubesOS/qubes-core-agent-linux/releases/tag/v3.2.18
> > running on a hunch that the 4.0 code is messing with something which did
> > indeed work and it continued on. v3.2.18 is the last v3 release you guys
> > have. But shortly after it failed in another module. I followed the same
> > steps, checked out a v3 version and it continued on. did that I think one
> > more time and make qubes-vm finishes.

> > been scouring the web for 3 days now trying to get a trusty and xenial
> > template built.
> > >
> > > I think you need to work on your search skills :-)
> > > The same question was asked on this list 3 days ago.
> > > The mount error arises because 'mount' isn't on the path - copy the
> > > export PATH statement from template_debian/vars.sh to
> > > template_qubuntu/vars.sh, and you should be good to go.
> > >
> > > The build on master is crocked for the moment.
> > > Note that the PRs are all merged to 3.2, and you can therefore build on
> > > 3.2 without any problem.
> > > The simplest way to do this is to set RELEASE := 3.2 , and then 'make
> > > switch-branch'.
> > >
> > > There's really no need for a special Ubuntu guide - the standard
> > > instructions for using qubes-builder in
> > > www.qubes-os.org/doc/qubes-builder explain the basics.
> > > Obviously if you just want to build a template, then 'make qubes-vm' and
> [...]

Hi ken,

You're quite right - the instructions are varied and somewhat
inconsistent. The qubes-builder page refers only to building qubes, and
the iso. We should add to this to make it clear that other options are
available, and say what they are.

My suggestion in this thread to use master was because my PRs hadn't been
merged to 3.2. At that time, building in master was straightforward - it
isn't now, (but it soon will be.) For the moment the 3.2 build for
components and templates works fine once that PATH is set, as you
discovered.

All in all it wasn't surprising that you were confused - I'll see about
making those docs a bit clearer. Best of all, of course, would be if
everything just worked, but we aren't quite at that stage yet.
Thanks for your patience

unman