On 07/01/2017 12:10 PM, Unman wrote:
On Sat, Jul 01, 2017 at 10:05:36AM -1000, yreb-qusw wrote:
On 06/28/2017 04:03 PM, cooloutac wrote:
so you would put hd0,X  X= 1 2  or 3 etc...  you said it was 200mb right so
just look for something around that in kb's.  probably the smallest partition
it should say file type too no?  ntfs.

actualy this is from the qubes doc's  not me

--
Identify the Windows system partition that has /bootmgr

In blkid output, the system partition is the one with LABEL=’SYSTEM
RESERVED’ or LABEL=’SYSTEM’ and is only about 100 to 200 MB in size
--

ntldr (hd0,msdos2)/bootmgr   ?

or

ntldr (hd0,2)/bootmgr  ?

I would think it would be  the 1st partitions when it comes to booting.

Is it possible my boot partition for win10   got  overwritten  when
installing  Qubes somehow ?

Maybe I should give up  ,  as  by the slow/no responses,  it seems there is
no way to get support for this

As far as I can see a number of people have tried to help you here
You should read the guidelines at www.qubes-os.org/mailing-lists and
be patient.
Also, a two minute search on the net would bring you to guides that
would enable you to learn something about grub and maybe solve the problem for
yourself.

On the specific points:
I doubt that your Win10 boot partition got overwritten , unless you
asked the installer to do so.
It is possible to run Windows without a SYSTEM partition, particularly if
installed in BIOS mode - it is, however, not standard.
fdisk -l shows you which partition has been marked as bootable - this
need not be the partition you want. It need not be the first partition.
Nothing will go wrong if you get the partition specification wrong -
Windows wont boot and you will see an error message.
From what you have said you have two options: msdos1 and msdos2.
In grub partitions are numbered starting from 1, so these can be
referenced as hd0,msdos1 and hd0,msdos2.
Just create two entries, one for each partition, and try to boot: if
the first fails, reboot and choose the second.

Incidentally, its relatively simple to enable legacy boot on InsydeH20 -
again, a simple search would show you how.
Unless someone did this for you it's most likely that you are in UEFI
mode. You can check this in Linux by looking at the output from dmesg,
and looking for "efi" entries - 'dmesg|grep efi'
Also,look in /sys/firmware for efi directory. If it's there then you
booted UEFI.
The partition layout you have described doesn't seem to be standard for
Windows under UEFI.

It isn't clear if you read the documentation before installing Qubes, or
if you have a back up or cloned disk. If you didn't I would do it now
before trying anything else. You can attach the NTFS partitions to a qube
and copy the data off, or clone the whole partition.

Good luck.

I appreciate your replies, I'm not a sysadmin, enabled legacy boot , i only vaguely understand that that is requird for Qubes, anyway, i've got qubes installed, it's just acting different than on my desktop version is,

I don't expect any replies, just hoping for more than 1 or 2 , hence I asked about the IRC, but I'm guessing that isn't well attended also

forgive me , for asking , it really isn't "a two minute" search it is that Grub and such are complicated for non sysadmin people

just for the record, I would think Qubes might like to have normal non sysadmin people able to use the OS, so my questions to the list, my serve those people,

The format of post and wait days or never for a reply may not be ideal for anything complicated IMHO

anyway, thanks for listening