On 08/09/2017 05:57 PM, Finsh wrote:
> So the x1 carbon should be the faster one, however, only if im not
> using to much VMs (cant say i had this problem so far, i normally
> dont use more than aprox. 7-10 vms)
>
> On one handy, i obviously would be happy not to have to transfer my
> qubes os to the x230, reconfigure AEM etc etc, and i want to use
> the faster Option.On the other hand i dont think there is a Wifi
> card available for my the x1 carbon without the Intel Remote
> Administration Funktion, is it?
>
> Is the a posibility to make the X1 c even faster? Someone mentioned
> i should disable Hyper Threading Technology in the BIOS, but i cant
> see wy this would be an advantage?
>

> cheers

Well, more RAM could make a huge difference in performance if your
workloads are IO intensive, eg. regularly transferring huge files
between VMs (more memory available for caching data that would
otherwise have to be re-read from disk; RAM is still faster than SSDs).

Regarding the Intel Active Management Technology vulnerability [1]
(CVE-2017-5689), my understanding is that it cannot be exploited over
wireless connections (unless the OS is explicitly cooperating with the
Management Engine by forwarding all incoming traffic via the PCI
communication controller), only wired LAN can be exploited without the
OS knowing. If you're still worried about this type of attack, an USB
qube used with external USB WiFi/Ethernet adapters might be the best
option (although a bit bulky).

According to the Xen project wiki [2], disabling hyper-threading
should make no difference as the scheduler used by Qubes is HT-aware
(ie. if your system runs noticeably faster with HT disabled, it's
definitely a bug and should be reported to the Xen project).

Cheers,
Patrik

[1] https://mjg59.dreamwidth.org/48429.html
[2] https://wiki.xenproject.org/wiki/Hyperthreading