I've just tried 4.13 again, still getting the same behavior, with the mouse
cursor becoming progressively less responsive, and mouse and kb both becoming
unresponsive, then X crashing/dying some time after that. Looking at the
(kernel) logs for that boot, I don't really see anything obvious by way of
errors, warnings, etc..
So I had a look at the announced changes for 4.13, and I do see that there have
both been some 'performance fixes' for Xen --
http://lkml.iu.edu/hypermail/linux/kernel/1707.0/02950.html -- and general DMA
mapping subsystem changes --
https://www.phoronix.com/scan.php?page=article&item=linux-413-features&num=1 --
the latter may be relevant because the way in which the system becomes
unresponsive reminds me of the behavior I've seen on Windows when the system is
having to deal with lots of interrupt calls.
That said, since I'm otherwise useless, I'll have to leave it there, and return
to 4.12 for now. :)