On 11.11.2017 13:43, David Hobach wrote:
On 11/11/2017 12:52 AM, Stumpy wrote:

On 10.11.2017 17:45, David Hobach wrote:
On 11/10/2017 05:41 PM, David Hobach wrote:

Your point about sys-net not working might very well be part of it as it seems to start sometimes and not others, though the firewall isn't starting 100% of the time.

There's a few issues wrt the qubes firewall open on github. The funny/bad thing about it being that if it doesn't start, it'll default to "Allow all"... x_X

That's present in 4.0rc2 at least.

Correction:
Just noticed that you were probably talking about the sys-firewall VM.
I was talking about the qubes-firewall service running in
sys-firewall.

Well it seems that reinstalling didn't help. I tried w/o creating the whonix or usb sys templates, i didn't try the "advanced" option as I was not sure how to make templates and wasn't soooo motivated as to go that path. I did try the qvm-start <template> route and wasn't able to start any of them, even when sys-net was up. A bit of a pity as I was looking forward to tinkering with it... and "learning how to stop worrying and love" Qubes w/o a VM Manager, I kinda liked the manager ;)

Check the other threads on the topic (there were a couple about VMs
not starting recently).

Also try to set non-starting VMs to virt_mode = pv and try qvm-start
again. That has some negative security implications (check Joannas
thread on pv vs hvm virtualisation), but it might get them started at
least.

qvm-prefs sys-firewall virt_mode pv

Thanks for the suggestions, while ultimately sec is important to me, for this box I won't do anything important on it so this might be a reasonable temp solution.