“In an earlier install, after I got this error, I switched all VMs to using pv
virt_mode and managed to get `qubes-dom0-update` to run, after doing that, I
still got the same weird /proc/cpuinfo and lscpu output but VMs were booting OK
with hvm.”

How exactly do you switch VMs to using pv virt_mode? The only thing I actually
want is for the VMs to book correctly, and that would save me a lot of trouble.