On Tuesday, 28 November 2017 18:33:37 CET Foppe de Haan wrote:
> Bottom line IMO these days security can't be done by a layman,

Security as a concept is not that black / white, there is no 100% security
and likewise I fail to see how "laymen" can't increase their security.
As a quick example, in Windows you can download an exe and start it with
zero technical knowledge.
In Linux a downloaded executable can't be started without the user
explicitly marking it "executable".

Guiding people into doing the right thing can be done.
As long as you don't aim for perfect security (which honestly doesn't exist
anyway), you can help people increase their security significantly.

In my humble opinion, this is already happening in Qubes. The NetVM is a
good example of a standard setup that has become completely transparant to
users while isolating them from bad drivers causing security issues for many
other linux users.

The people that need this most are those that don't have the technical know-
how, exactly because they don't understand how opening an executable or PDF
from the net can cause any harm.
The point I'm trying to make is that those people can already use this
software today, but many of the more fun features are impossible to them
because they have not been made easy.

I'd also like to mention that all things require time to learn, I'd like to
set up some firewall rules to let different VMs communicate between
themselves.  But lacking a nice GUI I have to figure out how to do this at
the command line, and I honestly just don't have the time to learn that
right now.
--
Tom Zander
Blog: https://zander.github.io