On 11/25/2017 05:51 AM, Foppe de Haan wrote:
> On Friday, November 24, 2017 at 6:00:37 PM UTC+1, Foppe de Haan wrote:
>> On Friday, November 24, 2017 at 3:25:40 PM UTC+1, Frédéric Pierret (fepitre)
>> wrote:

>>> I'm using a Fedora 26 (on a Debian server with Xen, not Qubes) with a
>>> DIST_DOM0 as Fedora 23. If you want, I can upload the kernel files on
>>> sourceforge.
>>
>> it may have something to do with the fact that 'dkms status u2mfn' doesn't
>> return anything, as that results in 'cp -r /usr/src/u2mfn-$u2mfn_ver
>> /home/user/qubes-linux-kernel/u2mfn' erroring out.
>
> So when it tries to run this script prior to building the kernel:
> https://github.com/QubesOS/qubes-linux-utils/blob/master/kernel-modules/qubes-prepare-vm-kernel
>  , it fails, because 'dkms status u2mfn' yields an empty string when run in a
> (fc26) VM.

I finally had time to play around with this and I hit the same issue in
my FC 26 build template (dkms status u2mfn yields an empty string). I
don't know how my machine got into this state in the first place (I
suspect it was an issue upgrading from FC25 to FC26), but it's easily
fixable.

Two things to do:

First, verify the version of u2mfn in /usr/src of your build template by
running:

ls /usr/src

There *should* be only one version, but in my case I had two (if anyone
else out there is in the same boat, read on).

Second, we need to tell dkms of u2mfn's existence. 3.2.5 is the latest
version of u2mfn, so I'm going to assume this is the one we're going to
be working with. To fix the empty string issue, simply re-register the
module with dkms by running:

sudo dkms add -m u2mfn -v 3.2.5

And that should fix it. You can verify it by running:

dkms status u2mfn

and it should no longer return an empty string.

Now, if you have an older version of u2mfn in there (in my case, it was
3.2.4 which was the FC25 version), you'll need to remove it.

Run:

sudo rpm -e qubes-kernel-vm-support

and it'll spit out the full package names of the two versions of the
package on your system.

To remove the older one (I'll assume it's 3.2.4), you would run rpm -e
with the full package name (ex. sudo rpm -e
qubes-kernel-vm-support-3.2.4-1.fc25 or something like that).

BUT it will probably not work because that version of the module isn't
registered with dkms either. So you'll need to do the same thing as with
3.2.5 above:

sudo dkms add -m u2mfn -v 3.2.4

And then you can re-run the rpm -e command again and this time, it
should work and your system should be back to its expected state.

Note that for anyone on R3.2, you *won't* be able to compile kernel 4.14
on an FC26 template because it will link to FC26's openssl-1.1.0 and
FC23 only has openssl-1.0.2 and thus it won't install in dom0. You'll
either need to compile that kernel on an FC25 template or older (which
sucks, since FC25 is EOL on Dec. 12), *or* figure out how to upgrade
openssl in R3.2 dom0 to version 1.1.0 (possible, but not trivial).