On Saturday, February 3, 2018 at 10:38:15 PM UTC+1, Dave C wrote:
> On Saturday, February 3, 2018 at 12:52:21 PM UTC-8, Dave C wrote:

> > > You made your sys-firewall handle USB devices?
> >
> > No, I configured sys-firewall to use sys-usb for networking, instead of the
> > default setting sys-net. Same as you describe, I think.
> >
> > BTW, the problem seems have gone away after I clicked the OK button in the
> > "Qubes Global Settings" dialog.
>
> Actually, shortly after, a similar problem appeared.  When sys-firewall uses
> sys-usb, `dnf install ...` fails later than I reported earlier.  It errors
> out this way:
>
> ```
> Transaction Summary
> Install  12 Packages
>
> Total download size: 3.9 M
> Installed size: 7.1 M
> Is this ok [y/N]: y
> Downloading Packages:
>
> The downloaded packages were saved in cache until the next successful
> transaction.
> You can remove cached packages by executing 'dnf clean packages'.
> Error: Error downloading packages:
>   Curl error (56): Failure when receiving data from the peer for
> https://mirrors.fedoraproject.org/metalink?repo=updates-released-f26&arch=x86_64
>  [Received HTTP code 500 from proxy after CONNECT]
> [user@f26-devel ~]$ sudo dnf install openssl-devel
> Last metadata expiration check: -1 day, 17:20:05 ago on Sat Feb  3 20:14:15
> 2018.
> ```
>
> But again, if I configure sys-firewall to use sys-net, and use wifi instead
> of usb tether, `dnf install ...` succeeds.
>
> Odd! and still a mystery.

Try see if restarting the whole network and VM's so only dom0 is left works,
and then start it up again (or restart Qubes altogether). Then without further
settings adjustment after restart, does it work with updates now? I've
experienced issues too in sys-firewall, it's mostly malfunctioning gpg checks
in sys-firewall though, but a quick restart of all my network based VM's and
sys-net/sys-firewall too, at which point I can easily install the updates with
correct gpg checks. It has happened quite frequently the last 10 days or so,
roughly, but never happened to me before that. Perhaps this is similar to yours?

The config file working after clicking "ok" sounds familiar, like the common
bug in Linux in general, where configs are not read after major system updates
or unexpected powerdown, situations like that. But your second post means it
wasn't fixed anywway, I assume?

It might be a good idea to put this on github, chances are that they might fix
it soon if the problem is general issue for all USB tethering's, which could
affect many people, thus possibly given higher priority in the limited
resources available. They can also better keep track of the issue on github.
Try report it on github if possible.

btw, just to be sure, are you using it in this order?
sys-net --> sys-usb --> sys-firewall, and tying your Qubes-Global-Settings for
NetVM updates to sys-usb?

What happens if you exclude sys-usb entirely in the above chain, and put your
USB controller on the sys-net? It might not be needed to have a sys-usb, unless
you have more than one USB controller, at which point you can better protect
the other controller from being affected by internet connections by pulling the
second or third USB controller behind the firewall. It just sucks that some
systems only have one USB controller though.