On Monday, February 19, 2018 at 11:24:14 AM UTC+1, @LeeteqXV wrote:
> I am considering Qubes 4.x for an ASUS ROG GL552VW-DM141 laptop with
> NVIDIA graphics and built-in/onboard "fallback" Intel graphics.
>
> In order to get for example Ubuntu Mate installed onto it, to get past
> the installer incompatibilities with NVidia, it is necessary to edit the
> boot menu and add "nouveau.modeset=0" to the startup command. Then
> Ubuntu boots fine.
>
> Can this be done with Qubes 4.x?
> How/where to affect such boot commands; can that be done from the boot
> media/USB stick directly, as we do with other Linux live USB sticks?
>
> Thanks,

@LeeteqXV
It's probably best you start a new thread, this thread is about a whole
different issue altogether.

But since this is an old thread, I'll briefly answer you.
This what you seek, directing a GPU directly into an AppVM, or any other work
arounds, can currently be done in Qubes 3.2. nor Qubes 4.0.

However, it is planned for Qubes 4.1, which may reach release. Just don't get
hyped yet, things can change, 4.0. is barely finished and 4.1. is currently
only on the drawing board. Look here for quick information about 4.1.
https://github.com/rootkovska/qubes-roadmap you can see the GTX passthrough
ability on the map.

Also, you don't really need Ubuntu for these kind of things, it can easily be
fixed up in both Debian and Fedora. You can use Intel graphics just fine for 4k
videos, you don't need nvidia for stuff like that on modern motherboard/CPU
systems. You may need powerful graphic cards for gaming and high end graphics,
but this too isn't possible, at least before Qubes 4.1. anyway. If you didn't
need these in Qubes 4, then it will likely make no difference to you to use
Intel graphics. Also Qubes dom0 frequently has nvidia graphic issues and may
require a full properitary driver download/install, with a manual install.

To get a bit back on-topic, it saves you whole lot of hassle if you get
adjusted to not be depending too much on Ubuntu and others that give everything
on a silverplate. Although DVM protected content is never stable regardless of
the Linux distribution, unless you download the Google Chrome browser from
Google (Not Chromium), which usually always have working DVM videos in any
Linux. Issue being, that Firefox and others, often loose the ability to play
the video, especially Microsoft silverlight videos, which the work-arounds
frequently break.

Essentially you can play the codecs fine, HTML5 is for example extremely easy
to install in Fedora through enabling the RPMFusion repositories, which can
easily be done in Qubes fedora template (best make a copy first). But it does
not include HTML5-DVM.

Essentially, DVM is so messed up, you may just want to download the Google
Browser specifically for these videos, and just be done with the crapware
copyright protectors throw at us. It's not like they care about Linux anyway,
so why would changing to Ubuntu make any difference? Ubuntu is just as unstable
in this regard of protected content due to lack of developer support of
protected contents.

However, Fedora+Firefox+RPMFusionRepositories+ffmpeg+Firefox's own DVM =
Netflix and all HTML5 videos on youtube, and similar modern websites, works
smoothly without issues.

Try not to get too dependent on a system, really it makes little difference if
you adjust yourself to it.

Also install Qubes with LegacyBIOS/Grub and press the E key during the Grub
menu, then add after or before "quiet" on the module code-line. Or just
temporarily disable nvidia in your UEFI, works too, more or less does the same
as nouveau.modeset=0.