Not sure if what I want to achieve is possible but I'll try and summarise below.

With other distros that I run (WIN10, Ubuntu, Debian) as well as QUBES - I make
full disk images using CLONEZILLA and retain them on a spare PC, running as a
local server.

All full disk restores work fine, including QUBES OS - which is now my primary
system.

Ideally I'd like to be able to have access to individual files within the image
copies(if needed).

For DEBIAN, Ubuntu and I assume WIN10(though not really bothered about that) I
can go into terminal on my backup PC and key something along the lines of

  sudo cat /dir-to-images/sdb1.ext4-ptcl-img.gz.* | sudo gzip -d -c | sudo
partclone.ext4 -C -r -W -s - -O /dir-to-new-image/hda1.img

where all the key files take the form sdb1.ext4-ptcl-img.gz.*
with * being aa,ab,ac etc.

As long as I've created a restore file first (eg hda1.img in the above example)
the above code works fine - and if I mount the hda1.img file, then all my
folders and files are accessible.

I can then recover say an individual file without having to do full disk
restore etc.

IS THIS POSSIBLE WITH QUBES?

The relevant files take the form sdc1.ext4-ptcl-img.gz.aa (a single file) and
lots of files of the form sdc2.dd-img.aa, sdc2.dd-img.ab through to
sdc2.dd-img.bd.

The above instruction works with the sdc1 file and opens up various system
files - but I can't do anything to read the sdc2 series of files.

Am not sure what to expect if I could get it to work since each VM has its own
DOCUMENTS, DOWNLOAD folders etc.

Is what I want to achieve possible and if so - grateful for any suggestions as
to relevant code needed.

If not - any suggestions about a different approach to a simple "system" backup
with access to individual files as needed?