On 02/20/2018 02:16 PM, higginsonj...@gmail.com wrote:
> Not sure if what I want to achieve is possible but I'll try and
> summarise below.
>
> With other distros that I run (WIN10, Ubuntu, Debian) as well as
> QUBES - I make full disk images using CLONEZILLA and retain them on
> a spare PC, running as a local server.
>
> All full disk restores work fine, including QUBES OS - which is now
> my primary system.
>
> Ideally I'd like to be able to have access to individual files
> within the image copies(if needed).
>
> For DEBIAN, Ubuntu and I assume WIN10(though not really bothered
> about that) I can go into terminal on my backup PC and key
> something along the lines of
>
> sudo cat /dir-to-images/sdb1.ext4-ptcl-img.gz.* | sudo gzip -d -c |
> sudo partclone.ext4 -C -r -W -s - -O /dir-to-new-image/hda1.img
>
> where all the key files take the form sdb1.ext4-ptcl-img.gz.* with
> * being aa,ab,ac etc.
>

> As long as I've created a restore file first (eg hda1.img in the
> above example) the above code works fine - and if I mount the
> hda1.img file, then all my folders and files are accessible.
>
> I can then recover say an individual file without having to do full
> disk restore etc.
>
> IS THIS POSSIBLE WITH QUBES?
>
> The relevant files take the form sdc1.ext4-ptcl-img.gz.aa (a single
> file) and lots of files of the form sdc2.dd-img.aa, sdc2.dd-img.ab
> through to sdc2.dd-img.bd.
>
> The above instruction works with the sdc1 file and opens up various
> system files - but I can't do anything to read the sdc2 series of
> files.
>
> Am not sure what to expect if I could get it to work since each VM
> has its own DOCUMENTS, DOWNLOAD folders etc.
>
> Is what I want to achieve possible and if so - grateful for any
> suggestions as to relevant code needed.
>
> If not - any suggestions about a different approach to a simple
> "system" backup with access to individual files as needed?

I think you could restore /var/lib/qubes/appvms/vm-name/private.img
and mount it as a loop device. Then extract the file you want.

However I don't see too much benefit with your method. Are you getting
your whole hard disk backup on /dir-to-new-image/hda1.img? If yes it's
not very useful for getting then one single file.

I think it's simpler and more efficient just restoring an standard
Qubes backup (only the VM's that you need), start them, move the files
you want outside and remove it.

With Qubes backup you have possibility to restore individual VM's,
integrity check of the backup, possibility of encryption, and also
store related configuration of the vm (firewall, netVM, etc...).