awokd writes:
> I wonder if this might be related to a recent patch in testing. Are both
> your dom0 and templates on the same repository (current vs. testing) and
> updated? A recent patch also required a reboot once both were updated.

Both on current, and both updated, and rebooted since last update.

Anyway, problem solved. I plugged the USB device into a different port, and it
worked (I got xvdi in the appVM). Then I detached and moved it back to the port
where I was having the problem, and this time it worked there too. Aargh,
heisenbug.