Hello Yuraeitha,

Thanks for the clarification, I think we share some common values.

--
Qubes 4rc3 > Lenovo X230 + Lenovo W540

Gesendet von ProtonMail mobile

-------- Original-Nachricht --------
An 27. Feb. 2018, 02:48, Yuraeitha schrieb:

> Okay I may have come on a bit strong worded,
> I apologize that I ended up being rude.
> Nevertheless I'm not reclaiming my criticism
> before convinced otherwise.

Thanks for the reply, as always in written communication it's sometimes hard to
read the intention by just reading the words.

> I definitely have projects I'm working on, such
> as QubesTV, QubesNAS, Qubes update script,
> Qubes screenshot scripts, etc.

If possible share it, I am heavily interested in a better screenshot solution
and come up with a first prototype to be able to copy a screenshot (made in
dom0) into the clipboard of a predefined AppVM.
(Search for qvm-screenshot-to-clipboard on GitHub)
Warning: it is a working solution but currently without any error handling,
happy to hear feedback from a security view as I am far away from being an
expert there.

> My beef with this is that Qubes is about being
> open source, decentralization (Qubes Air
> which was planned almost a decade ago
> now), retaining control of ones own system,
> etc. If there are just as good open source
> solutions, or even nearly just as good ones,
> then these should be mentioned and
> included.

I totally agree and that is what I am doing everyday when I talk to my
"enterprise" customers when the decide to use windows or VMware just because it
is "more of an enterprise solution" (mainly because it costs money :-/).
Of course I don't agree with this argument.
Open Source is great, and if I would have known about an open source solution I
would have mention this.

> While sure Qubes is primarily about security
> and less focused about privacy, but Qubes is
> also about open source and retaining control
> of your system.

Agreed and I think that you can still gain privacy and security benefits when
using "closed source" solution with Qubes just by using different Qubes.
Let me put it this way, if I am really concerned about privacy I would not use
Amazon Prime/Netflix at all because you become very transparent when someone
knows what you are watching/reading and when.

> To put this straight, I don't care if users can
> just choose to do something else, the fact
> that it's not following the spirit of what Qubes
> is all about, is what I care about.

Understand you point, still I think that every person who is using Linux or
even better Qubes is a large win as more people learn that there are
alternatives.
Maybe the use Linux and Chrome in the beginning and some day companies see that
there is a critical mass, so that it makes sense to develop cross platform
solution.
I don't expect that every company has to go open source, maybe because they
want to protect their ownership/development costs. But I would like to use
their software on my Operation System of choice.
So the biggest topic is not that I have to use closed source/proprietary
software but that I need to sacrifice lots of features when working in the
classic "enterprise app" environment.
Example:

Our ERP System, Our CTI Application (ESTOS), Cisco WebEx/Cisco Jabber/Spark,
Microsoft Office/Outlook, our main IT Service Tool (Remote Desktop Manager) are
mainly running on top of of Windows, some offer a limited feature set when
using web-alternatives, but there are no native Linux Apps, which is shame.
I am running Qubes OS as primary OS but it is (for my job role) impossible
without using Windows or other closed source apps.
That's also why I really hope to see ongoing Windows AppVM support in Qubes
which I honestly think is a major feature being able to run Qubes.

> (...) I also enjoy discussions trying to reach a
> common shared ground. That's what
> discussions are all about to begin with after
> all.

Agreed.

[799]