yreb...@riseup.net:
> per the network printing docs it says to :
>

> "Open an AppVM (make sure it’s based on the template where you just
> installed the printer, normally all AppVMs are based on the default
> template), and test if printing works. If it doesn’t then probably the
> AppVM doesn’t have networking access to the printer – in that case
> adjust the firewall settings for that AppVM in Qubes Manager."
>

> How exactly do I do this ?  in 3.2  use the tab for firewall in the VM
> manager , hit the + sign and choose  ? "any" and  what IP  ? neither the
> GW nor the AppVM IP  seems to work
>
> I did install the driver in a cloned template VM  but it wouldn't print
> from there , and I gave up ,  I also couldn't get anything to print
> from my  xubuntu  HVM

You're halfway there.

It wouldn't print from the template because the templates don't normally
have network access. See here:

https://www.qubes-os.org/doc/software-update-vm/

Network printing can be done multiple ways, so it depends on your setup.
For example, if you only want to print from a certain appvm, you would
choose "Deny all except...", then add a firewall rule in the firewall
tab to allow access to the IP of your printer. Assigning a static IP to
the printer will make things much easier (which would be done on the
printer itself if you're not sure).

Alternatively, if you're trying to both print from a certain appvm and
access the internet from that same appvm, you would choose "Allow all
except..." and then simply make sure that the appvm in question is not
behind a vpn or tor. No specific firewall rules for the printer would be
needed in this case.

Using a xubuntu HVM might be a little trickier, but if it already has
networking set up, the same concepts would apply.