the doc page at

https://www.qubes-os.org/doc/templates/fedora-minimal/

says that in Q R4.0 sudo is not installed in the minimal fedora template, and
tells you how to get into a root shell from dom0.

That is not quite true - sudo is installed (and therefore dnf refuses to
re-install it). but it needs to be configured so you will need to use the
method in the doc page at least at first.

In the fedora-26 template (NOT minimal) find the file /etc/sudoers.d/qubes and
copy it across to the same location in the minimal template. Stop and start the
minimal template.

Go into the terminal as user, and sudo -i now puts you into root without a
password.

More detail

I found the system would not immediately let me copy the file across, so I
copied it to /home/user on the template, chown user:user; chmod 777 then I
could move it using the GUI.

Then in the minimal template, move the file from /user/QubesIncoming/fedora-26
to /etc/sudoers.d then a final chown root:root ; chmod 440 to restore the
ownership & mode that sudo expects.

I do not claim this to be the most elegant way to move a