Alternatively, it could be that NDA is required not exactly to get
these updated microcode files for our a-bit-old CPUs, but to
understand - against what vulnerabilities these microcodes are trying
to give the protection. Maybe there are some secret release notes that
usually come with these microcodes to the OEMs. If you would look at
the commit message which came with 15h/17h files, you would not notice
any mention of the vulnerabilities and spectre - or any other mention
of what has been changed or improved. Its "just an update" -
https://marc.info/?l=linux-kernel&m=152651230014241&w=2 . More
messages from this author -
https://marc.info/?a=137244797100003&r=1&w=2

Best regards,