Using the instructions in the post you referenced, I was able to apply the
kernel patch successfully, and it finally started responding to power button
presses from sleep!

But it would immediately freeze up on wake at either a black screen or at
XScreenSaver password prompt.

I had to remove the USB-C Thunderbolt 3 controller from the devices list of the
sys-usb vm in order to prevent this freeze, and now it works very well, with
the minor annoyance of it taking a few seconds to fully recover and wake the
display or respond to input.