On 2018-08-25 15:33, Chris Laprise wrote:
> On 08/25/2018 03:59 PM, Andrew David Wong wrote:

>>> Think some additional text in the dialog box like "provides network
>>> ('ProxyVM')" would do it? Agree that "network-providing appVM" is a
>>> bit of
>>> a mouthful.
>>>

>> If I understand correctly, it's not merely a terminological change.
>> Rather, there is simply no longer such a thing as a "ProxyVM" in Qubes
>> 4.0, where a "ProxyVM" is understood to be a VM that has the inherent
>> property of proxying network access. Instead, "provides network" is a
>> switchable property can apply (or not) to *any* VM. You can flip the
>> switch on to make a VM play the role of a ProxyVM (and/or a NetVM?),
>> then switch it off again later, and it'll still be the same VM. At any
>> rate, that's what I gather from this comment from Marek:
>>
>> https://github.com/QubesOS/qubes-issues/issues/1763#issuecomment-188786341
>>

> Except VMs internally still use the proxyVM term in /var/run/qubes for
> example. Its how my VPN code makes decisions about where+what to run.
>
> I'd vote for adding (ProxyVM) in parentheses to the "provides network"
> label (not tooltip) in the create dialog.

In that case, I certainly agree. Calling it "provides network" is
clearly an attempt to accommodate new users who don't know what a
ProxyVM is, but there's no reason to confuse experienced users by
removing *all* mention of ProxyVM, when we can accommodate both groups
by simply calling it "provides network (ProxyVM)".

- --
Andrew David Wong (Axon)
Community Manager, Qubes OS
https://www.qubes-os.org