I have many posts on this but since you have an .edu and made a long
post yourself here are two great options.

You wanna assemble stuff yourself which is pretty easy - I did my first
at age 12 and it worked on the first power on.

Libre motherboards that work with qubes 4:

* KCMA-D8 (90 used on fleabay from china) and one or two 8 core socket
C32 4386 opteron CPU's plus ECC RDIMM RAM in 8GB sticks (for 64 total)
or 16gb (for 128 total)

* KGPE-D16 ($130 on fleabay brand new) and one or two 16 core 6386 CPU's
or 8 core 6328 CPU's (60 on fleabay brand new) which supports up to
192GB RAM.

Since they support libre firmware it doesn't matter that you are getting
used hardware although I believe newegg still has the KGPE-D16 if you
must have new hardware.

Both support Crossfire xDMA and IOMMU-GFX for gaming or cad in a VM, all
the devices have their own IOMMU groups and it supports ACS.

The D8 and D16 are the last and best owner controlled x86 motherboards
and they support coreboot-libre or libreboot, and also OpenBMC for
secure libre remote access with the ASMB4 or ASMB5 chip - it comes with
the new in box KGPE-D16 but they also crop up time to time on fleabay
for a few bucks.

I would say that TPM's/AEM is a not needed if you implement
kernel/initramfs code signing in grub as a coreboot payload, set the
write lock bit on the flash chip and then put a lock on your case but if
you still want a TPM it has a header for a v1.2 device make sure to buy
a supported model.

Other options are the Raptor Computing Systems Libre Firmware OpenPOWER
systems such as the TALOS 2 and the more affordable Blackbird which are
the future of owner controlled computing[1] although currently qubes/xen
doesn't have a POWER port so you would have to use POWER-KVM which
arguably is better security wise than xen+black boxed x86 junk and again
is the future not a dead platform.

I am an expert on this topic, let me know if you need any help and if
you think my advice is patron-grade.

[1]x86 is dead freedomwise, both AMD and intel have a variety of
anti-features that make you just a licensee not an owner - OpenPOWER is
the only owner controlled performance CPU arch luckily it is now more
affordable than equivilant x86 performance enterprise hardware and you
get more features+freedom :D

It is impossible to disable ME/PSP or make libre firmware for a new gen
x86 system.