John Goold:

Well, I guess I am out of my depth with LVM or the install did not create the LVM
group/volumes/<whatever> correctly.  :(

Those LVM commands don't look quite right. Try the ones mentioned here: https://unix.stackexchange.com/questions/232905/lvm-mount-rescue-mode for example. If you do get root to mount, look at /var/log/boot.log in there, and maybe /var/log/xen/console/hypervisor.log.