On Thursday, 27 December 2018 20:49:14 UTC-3:30, John Goold  wrote:
> On Thursday, 27 December 2018 16:24:23 UTC-3:30, Marek Marczykowski-Górecki
> wrote:

> > > This thread is getting verbose, so I have replied to the original post
> > > and will attempt a brief summary of the rest of the thread (for context):
> > >
> > > Determining what is happening would be facilitated by seeing any entries
> > > in log files (assuming the boot got far enough to log anything).
> > >
> > > That means checking files on the USB drive used as the target of the
> > > install and which causes the boot-loop when attempting to boot.
> > >
> > > Since the boot is failing, I cannot look at the log files under the
> > > booted Qubes OS, so instead I attempted to look for the log files when
> > > booted into another OS (Linux Mint 19.1).
> > >
> > > Qubes is using LVM to handle allocating disk space (presumably to
> > > facilitate being able to add additional physical disks to an existing
> > > Qubes install). There appeared, at first glance to be 3 Logical volumes:
> > >
> > > pool00
> > > root
> > > swap
> > >
> > > Linux Mint mounted the LV "swap" automatically, but not the other two.
> > > The other two appear not to be "activated" and mount attempts failed.
> > > Attempts to "activate" the LVs fail.
> > >
> > > After searching the Net for information on LVM, I came across an article
> > > that helped me understand the Qubes setup better…
> > >
> > > There is one Logical Volume Group called "qubes_dom0".
> > > Within that there is a Logical Volume, "swap", that is detected and
> > > mounted automatically by my Linux Mint installation.
> > > Additionally, there is a "Thin Pool" allocated that uses up the rest of
> > > the space in the Volume Group. It is distinguished by information
> > > displayed by the lvdisplay command ("LV Pool metadata" and "LV Pool
> > > data").
> > >
> > > Within that "thin pool", a logical volume, "root" has been created that
> > > uses all the disk space currently assigned.
> >
> > Yes, that's right.
> >
> > - From what I've seen in this thread, you did it right, but the system you
> > used didn't support thin volumes. You can try Qubes installation image,
> > there is recovery mode ("Rescue" in boot menu in legacy mode).
> >

> > Other things you can try is to press ESC during boot to see more
> > messages than just progress bar. If that doesn't really help, try
> > editing boot entry in grub and remove "quiet" and "rhgb" options from
> > there. This should give you more details when exactly system reboots.
> >
> > - --
> > Best Regards,
> > Marek Marczykowski-Górecki
> > Invisible Things Lab
> > A: Because it messes up the order in which people normally read text.
> > Q: Why is top-posting such a bad thing?
>
> The messages scroll past much too quickly for me and disappear almost
> immediately the scrolling stops (i.e. as soon as the reboot starts).
>
> The last message (the only one I was able to read) said: "Starting switch
> boot" (it may have been "Start …" or "Started …".

> [...]

The boot-loop problem appears to be a problem with the HP Spectre X360.

I have the NUC7i7BNH up and running. I was able to install R1.0.1 (stable) on
it. Since it will become my primary computer, I no longer care about the HP
Laptop (at least in terms of installing Qubes on it!). At present I am reliant
on the HP during the transition to Qubes — it is a bit of a bumpy road.