On Thursday, January 17, 2019 at 12:20:32 PM UTC-6, R A F wrote:
> Hi Everyone,
>
> I'm trying to find a way to sync firefox bookmarks but I do not want to use
> firefox account. So my question to all of you is:
> Does anyone knows if there is a possible way to create local account that
> will be hosted on standalone VM so I could connect all Firefox Apps to
> connect to that source ans sync bookmarks, plugins, etc. The whole point here
> is to keep all bookmarks in safe place that same way some people keep their
> passwords keys etc.
> Maybe if there is no such a solution someone could start new project? I would
> do that myself, but currently do not have advanced coding skills :-(
>
> Thanks for all replays
> BR
> Raf

After re-reading the thread, I realized I was over simplifying your question —
sorry.

However, after reading your original question more carefully, I am left
wondering what exactly it is you wish to accomplish (again, sorry if I am being
dim-witted).

It sounds like you are discussing a single computer running Qubes. It is not
clear to me whether you want to synchronize bookmarks among instances of
Firefox running on different appVMs (doing so would appear to compromise
security as discussed elsewhere) or whether you just want to be able to back-up
your bookmarks (possibly from multiple appVMs).

Having just recently made the transition to Qubes, I had to migrate my data
which included my bookmarks. I did not use Firefox's Sync., to do this, but
simply backed up my bookmarks from my laptop computer. I then transferred the
backup to my new desktop, Qubes computer. I copied them to the appVMs that I
would be running Firefox on. After restoring the bookmarks, I deleted any
non-relevant bookmarks from each appVM. For example, I deleted all but the
banking/financial bookmarks from the "finances" appVM (and deleted those from
every other appVM).

I also made sure that remembering history, passwords, etc., was turned off for
Firefox on every appVM. Also, which probably goes without saying, I turned off
all reporting back to Mozilla.

I have also decided on my backup strategy being to use Qubes backup to backup
VMs (including template VMs) to an external USB drive (accepting there may be
some slight USB-related exposure).

So, the bottom line is, what do you really want to do?

If it is just back-ups, then use either Firefox's bookmarks backup/restore or
backup the relevant Qubes (or both).

If you really want to synchronize bookmarks among your appVMs, I think you
would be needlessly jeopardizing your security with no real gain. Personally I
would recommend against doing this.