On 20190127 at 01:34 +0000 unman wrote:
> I would rule some things out. And in this case it looks like a simple
> mistake.

It could even be intention. Most of you do not think about the cost
associated with TLS (and growing with key lengths). But there always
were (and will be) discussions whether offering a certain service
(especially free of charge) will be worth it considering the attached
cost. We're lucky that technology stepped up a bit (I remember doing
performance analysis when SSL was pushed into the market by Netscape
and found out that it cost about an eightfold increase in CPU
resources); you might want to read
https://blog.cloudflare.com/how-expensive-is-crypto-anyway/ to get a
more recent look at things. But with Quantum computers just around the
corner there will be a new arms race current CPUs are not prepared for.
And keep in mind that only protecting "important targets" is stupid; if
you do not encrypt everything you are attaching target markers to your
secrets.

Crypto is added cost and designers will always try to find a balance
between cost and security...

Achim