The problem is more fundamental.

In all things, we need to seek more commonality and
simplicity in our lives.  In computer related issues, I have
found over the years that people who do not understand how
things work (thanks to the poor educational systems) simply
like to add more complexity because they do not know to
follow industry standards.  The other possibility is that
some do not want to change to better methodologies because
of a sad conservative mind-set.

In the case of digital communications, everything is based
upon voice (telephone), written words (document files and
e-mail) and the visual (videos and web pages).  When it
comes to forums, either for discussion and/or for help, the
interface has traditionally been thru the browser window
into industry standard forum software, with the e-mail part
used only for notifications and private messages.

With that said, mailing lists were the old method before
there was a graphical user interface available.  There is
little reason for its  use any longer, and quite frankly, I
cannot think of a good one.

For this day and age, using anything other than standard
forum software is detrimental to usability and productivity.
 That's just how it is, and there is no reason to go
backwards in these things.

We do not download forum databases; rather we expect the
hosts to maintain that for our use.