ljul8...@gmail.com wrote on 4/29/19 8:57 AM:
I’ve decided to buy a brand new laptop but I’m going crazy! I just can’t find
any of the laptops listed in the hardware compatibility list for sale brand
new. I found the “Dell Inspiron 15 7000” but the one in the hardware
compatibility list is “i7-7700HQ” and the one available for sale is
“i5-7300HQ”. Will the one available for sale work or do I need the specific one
listed in the hardware compatibility list?

To have any sort of guarantee, you need the EXACT model number that's listed in the HCL. Make sure you look all the way to the right and click on any links in the Remark and Credit columns. This will describe any workarounds needed. Some can be painful to maintain.

Chances are pretty good that models similar to one on the HCL will work too; for example, if the only difference is screen size or CPU speed.

You mentioned CPU models, but what is the Dell model # of the laptop you're looking at? Try to find one with only integrated graphics and available with Linux. If buying Intel, might want to look for something with ME disabled: https://liliputing.com/2017/12/dell-also-sells-laptops-intel-management-engine-disabled.html.