On 7/28/19 10:23 PM, Jon deps wrote:
On 7/29/19 12:02 AM, Chris Laprise wrote:
On 7/28/19 4:55 PM, Jon deps wrote:
On 7/28/19 7:52 PM, Jon deps wrote:
On 7/28/19 1:36 AM, Chris Laprise wrote:
On 7/27/19 8:27 PM, Jon deps wrote:
pardon my  non-sysadmin  query :

any chance of some real world  examples?  quite a few new terms there .

so install into Debian-9

but step 2  am already lost

eg how and where amd I "activating" vm-boot-protect   in the templatevm ?

or during install there is going to appear a choice  of which service to start  , then when one opens a  TBAVM based on the specified Deb-9 template   the protection work at that point ?

Go to the VM's Settings / Services tab, and add "vm-boot-protect" as a service.

Can I install it in a fresh Deb-9  , and if its breaking things, just delete  the fresh Deb-9 template,  or  is it touching  dom0 ?

It has a second-stage installation step that changes sudo/root access inside the template. And for that new root config to work, you have to add a couple dom0 config lines (it shows you the dom0 lines at the end of the install process).

If you remove the altered Deb-9, the dom0 config lines will stay unless you change them back. However, in practice there is really no impact on your unmodified templates, so whether or not to remove the dom0 lines is a question of tidiness.

As an alternative, per the Readme step 3, you can sidestep the whole sudo auth reconfiguration.

I guess once installed there is no un-installing ?

Currently there is no "purge everything" function or uninstall. You can remove the service manually by deleting the following:

/lib/systemd/system/vm-boot-protect.service
/usr/lib/qubes/init/vm-boot-protect.sh
/etc/default/vms

I just ended up  using vm-boot-protect-root  for the  sys-net and sys-usb   in qube settings services

per the "Where to use basic examples"

and vm-boot-protect   for regular appVMs

think I'll skip it for anything else

sys-net is working (I am using fedora-30: because of the past clock sync issue) otherwise Deb-9  but  just curious  what  the "additional networks VMs would be here"  proxyVPNVMs ?

"The sys-net VM should work 'out of the box' with the vm-boot-protect-root service via the included whitelist file. Additional network VMs may require configuration, such as cp sys-net.whitelist sys-net2.whitelist."

PS: the appVMs seem a bit slower to boot,  but could be my imagination ? :)

as expected, since my sys-net was not based on the template I installed the script to  ....

I installed it to a deb-9-clone  and the  disp-qubes-manager  method seems to be failing to update   so typically when that happens  I go to a terminal  in  the  template and do it manually  usually it seems to want   -dist-upgrade   , which presumably  the disp-update  has issues with  but  after  installing the script *

in the deb-9  template
$sudo apt-get update

fails  with what looks like a script  of having entered it incorrectly 3 times

so sorry, but am I supposed to add  vm-protect-root   to the template services as well  or  how to fix  this ?

'vm-protect-root' doesn't match any service created by Qubes-VM-hardening.

Adding vm-boot-protect or vm-boot-protect-root to the services of the template is optional. You can use either one, but it will always behave like plain vm-boot-protect in the template (the -root functions don't make sense in templates).

I'm not clear on when/where you're using fedora-30. Note that install step 3 is different for fedora.

With debian-9, if you're getting immediate errors from every 'sudo' command, this would be expected if you chose to uninstall 'qubes-core-agent-passwordless-root' in install step 3 (this means no more sudo!). But if you chose to auto-configure sudo, you will still need to add the config lines to dom0 for sudo to work correctly (otherwise, sudo will just give you errors); these lines are printed in the shell at the end of the install process.

hence, my original query about  'examples'    thanks in advance

Not sure what example you're looking for. In debian, the installer asks you one question: 'Configure sudo authentication prompt now? (y/n)'.

After installing Qubes-VM-hardening with sudo auth configured, running a command like 'sudo apt-get update' will cause a dom0 auth prompt window to appear, at which point you can hit 'Enter' or click 'OK'. Then the command will run normally.

At the vm-boot-protect level, you should see 'bin' automatically added to your home dir, and doing an 'lsattr -a' will show a number of files/dirs in home with the 'i' flag set.

At vm-boot-protect-root level, you should see a new dir '/rw/vm-boot-protect' and it should contain 'BAK' and/or 'ORIG' versions of config, bind-dirs and usrlocal.

1)
So, I  chose  'yes'  at the end of the script, for 'configure sudo authentication prompt.      a) somehow I missed the 'several commands' to manually configure in dom0 ; could you please tell me what they  are ?     b) otherwise I guess I can try uninstalling  -paswordless-root from the debian-9  template

I wouldn't do the uninstall on top of the sudo reconfig (though you might get an interesting result...).

The text printed at the end of install:

Done.

Next.... Enable auth prompts in dom0 with the following commands:
  [user@dom0 ~]$ sudo su -
  [root@dom0 /]# echo "/usr/bin/echo 1" >/etc/qubes-rpc/qubes.VMAuth
  [root@dom0 /]# echo "\$anyvm dom0 ask,default_target=dom0" \
    >/etc/qubes-rpc/policy/qubes.VMAuth

These are the same dom0 changes described in the doc page:
https://www.qubes-os.org/doc/vm-sudo/

BTW, if you don't remember seeing the dom0 instructions then something might have gone wrong in the installer.

2) please disregard what I said about Fedora, my mistype of 'vm-protect-etc", and my 1st status report, when I was still trying things out.

3) so no service needs to be added to either the Deb-9 template, NOR any AppVMs  based on the template?
     a) installing howto says to "specify one of the services for your VMs"

I didn't say that. I said that specifying the Qubes services isn't necessary for the template; it doesn't affect whether or not the template-based VMs use those services.

4) Seems that it also breaks any appVMs using other  Templates where the script wasn't installed

No, it wouldn't do that.

    so think I'm close to reinstalling  rather than  removing the  3 lines from dom0  referenced in your previous ; as sys-net is not working based on a different template  :)   regards

--

Chris Laprise, tas...@posteo.net
https://github.com/tasket