On 8/26/19 10:24 AM, panina wrote:
Hi!

This is not strictly Qubes-OS related, rather inspired by Qubes.

I've been struggling with some parts of Qubes usage. Most of the time,
it is overkill for me, and putting some strain on my computer. The
bugginess is also quite annoying, whenever I just need to do some
everyday work.
I've been thinking I'd like some form of dual-boot solution, or possibly
a Live USB that could be used.
Most of the time I work with ssh and webapps, so the only persistent
data I need to work will fit on a smartcard.

My thought is to have an installation that mounts most of the root
partition as readonly, and uses ramdisks wherever the system wants to
write (e.g /var/log). I'm also thinking it should be possible to get a
fingerprint or somesuch of the root partition, and use my TPM2 to check
this.

The system should also have a possibility to update itself, that I can
choose to do in environments that I feel is safe.

I am wondering if anyone knows of an OS that works like this? Or if
anyone knows of tools that might accomplish parts of this?

Ehm... You're describing Qubes OS with disposable VMs there? The fingerprinting is essentially AEM?

If you need to keep your data on an external disk (SDCard), you can use either a manual approach with qvm-copy, permanently attach the disk to a single disposable VM with a fixed name or use an automated solution such as [1]. You might also want to look into qvm-pool.

[1] https://github.com/3hhh/qcrypt