Hello,

panina <pan...@nonbinary.me> schrieb am Di., 27. Aug. 2019, 10:17:

> This is a view that I see quite a lot. It is a whole different discussion.
> Hence the re-subjecting.
> Firstly, this view completely lacks class analysis. Not everyone can
> afford to buy the newest shiny. A lot of us have to use whatever we can
> get our hands on.

Honestly I don't know what other people on this list use for hardware.
But if I look arround what my coworkers, customers, friends, family ..
everyone arround me is using, I am the one who is owning very old and very
cheap hardware (x230).
As such my assumption that most people are using newer and shinyer hardware
than me ;-)

Whenever a secure OS is mentioned, Qubes is the go-to. Everyone comes here.
> The approach that you have to buy new, specific hardware to have a
> functioning OS means anyone poor, or in a country with a poor dollar
> exchange rate, is left behind.

This is a constructed scenario. You will always find someone who will be
left behind.
If people who can afford to buy "shiny" new hardware would be used cheap
hardware which will likely do the same job, they can even buy 3 devices
instead of one and give it away for free. Win.
Also there is no need at all to buy new hardware if you want to run Qubes,
even more it makes sense to buy older hardware.
But even if you need to spent a few bucks it would not stop me and should
not stop you from investing into your security and privacy.

If Qubes was one of many options, this would cause less damage. But
> right now, there aren't many alternatives. So privacy and secure tech
> becomes an economic issue, a luxury

Why? As mentioned you can run Qubes on a very cheap laptop. I don't really
think that those "hardware" costs are really the reason why people are NOT
running Qubes.

>> I firmly claim that basic privacy should be a human right.

Yes, I agree.

> Furthermore, Qubes currently concentrates on Intel hardware.

Because it is easy to get and that's what most users are using. I think it
is rather unlikely that this will change in the near future.
But afaik I know it is also running on AMD CPUs.

I do not in any way feel that this is a sane choice right now. I feel it
> would be rather stupid to buy new hardware right now that has Intel
> processors.

You don't have to, but all alternatives (if there are any) would cost more
money or lead to the fact that I am unable to run qubes.

Too many security issues, and new ones popping up all the time.

What are you referring to and how are those security issues related to
Qubes or Qubes specific. If there is a problem with the Intel hardware,
with the xen hypervisor, or Linux bugs, this has nothing to do with Qubes.

So my second problem is: this approach would assume that I agree with
> every choice that the Qubes team does, which I don't.

You don't have to, but the good thing is that you can take the part you
like and tweak the part you don't like it improve on top of what you get.

[799]