----- On Feb 25, 2020, at 4:06 PM,  donov...@unseen.is wrote:

> ----- On Feb 25, 2020, at 3:46 PM, Chris Laprise tas...@posteo.net wrote:
>
>> On 2/25/20 4:12 PM, donov...@unseen.is wrote:
>>> Specifically, I issue the "|$ sudo qubes-dom0-update
>>> qubes-template-debian-10"and I get red lettering and "error could not
>>> delete old database at
>>> /var/lib/qubes/dom0-updates/home/user/.rpmold.xxxx" where xxxx changes
>>> if I repeat the command and that error appears. Other times I get red
>>> lettering without that specific error and (via sys-whonix) it downloads
>>> the info it needs and then I get "No Match for argument
>>> qubes-template-debian-10 nothing to download".

>>> thing "No Match for argument qubes-template-debian-9 nothing to download".|
>>
>> Hi donovan,
>>
>> Those qubes-dom0-update commands should work. However, dnf occasionally
>> forgets about packages bc of problems in its cache. To clear dnf caches,
>> run this in dom0:
>>
>> sudo qubes-dom0-update --action="clean all"
>> being "no such domain 'Debian-10'"
>> Then re-run your template install:
>>
>> sudo qubes-dom0-update qubes-template-debian-10
>>
>> --
>> Chris Laprise, tas...@posteo.net
>> https://github.com/tasket
>> https://twitter.com/ttaskett
>> PGP: BEE2 20C5 356E 764A 73EB  4AB3 1DC4 D106 F07F 1886
>
> Chris,
>
> Thanks for quick reply. Ran the above command aaand oops:
>
> ERROR: yum version installed in VM host does not support --downloadonly option
> ERROR: only 'install' and 'upgrade' actions supported (clean all not)
>
> DG

Some progress.

Using "sudo qubes-dom0-update --clean" did the trick for cleaning the dnf cache.

Using "sudo qubes-dom0-update --action=reinstall qubes-template-debian-10" got
my reinstall done. It squawked about there being "no such domain 'debian-10'",
but it ran through the reinstall fine.

Now I need to figure out how to clean up the primary drive a bit as I think I
used a lot more drive space than can be accounted for by the install. However,
I have Debian now, so I can build my production VM! Lots to learn. Turned off
my Windows box and dove into the deep end.

DG