From another post:
I ran some training a few years back, and the notes are here:
https://github.com/unman/notes/tree/master/salt

They start with the simplest use of `qubesctl`, and work up to quite
complex configurations, but should be easy to understand.
There are examples in (naturally) "examples".

Let's assume I'm managing all my configuration in /srv/salt/myConfig

From this post, it seems that these directories are not backuped by default by
the qubes-backup:
https://groups.google.com/forum/#!searchin/qubes-users/doesn$27t$20fully$20restore%7Csort:date/qubes-users/FiGImnZ87sY/yK5h7gcsAgAJ

How do you backup them? By linking from /home? Copying all to /home before a
backup? What's the best practice?