On 8/3/20 4:11 AM, fiftyfourthparal...@gmail.com wrote:

On Sunday, 2 August 2020 22:42:31 UTC+8, Chris Laprise wrote:

    You can check out my github for some interesting stuff. The
    'Qubes-scripts' project has a (serial) template updater that lets you
    select by certain criteria. It could be parallelized pretty easily.

    [...]

    Finally, there is a VPN tool and one to enhance VM internal security.

-- Chris Laprise, tas...@posteo.net
    https://github.com/tasket
    https://twitter.com/ttaskett
    PGP: BEE2 20C5 356E 764A 73EB  4AB3 1DC4 D106 F07F 1886

I tested your halt-vm-by-window and system-stats-xen and found them very useful. I also tried your qubes4-multi-update but ran into three issues: one is that it relies on curl, which my Fedora minimal wasn't happy about; another is that it [Y/n] prompts me for upgrades, which it shouldn't do, according to the script; the last is that it attempts to update mirage firewall standalones and when it fails, the whole process stops.

'curl' would only be used in a Whonix template. This is to signal Qubes' proxy to start the Tor-based updateVM as soon as possible. It should not try to run curl in a Fedora or regular Debian template.

To suppress interactive prompts, you need to run the script with '-u' or '--unattended'.

Your Qubes-VM-Hardening tool was one of the first things installed into my first Qubes, but I'm still not very familiar with how it works. I think vm-boot-protect might be blocking me from adding a .desktop file into ~/.config/autostart, as Steve suggested (Steve: does this need to be done in templates? If done in an appVM, wouldn't it get purged upon restart?).

Yes, vm-boot-protect does lock down that dir, along with other startup files and dirs in /home. The way it does this is with the 'immutable' flag. To change it (re)start the VM and do:

sudo chattr -i -R .config/autostart

Then change what you need to in that path and restart the VM. During the startup process the dir and its contents will be automatically made immutable again.

Anyways, your tools are very convnient and I think they should be more widely known, if not integrated into Qubes proper. Thank you