On 8/5/20 1:07 AM, Ulrich Windl wrote:
On 8/2/20 4:42 PM, Chris Laprise wrote:
On 8/2/20 8:32 AM, fiftyfourthparal...@gmail.com wrote:
I have a ton of templates and standalones (>10), so updating them one by one serially is a pain. I found a convenient dom0 script so I thought I'd share.

Basically, take this and paste it into dom0 then make it executable. There'a also a handy test function. All credit goes to Andrea Micheloni. Anyone have similarly handy modifications/scripts?

https://m7i.org/tips/qubes-update-all-templates/

IIRC there is an option somewhere in 'qubesctl' for parallel template updates.

Actually instead of parallel updates (assuming limited bandwidth) I'd vote for a more verbose progress indicator (in the graphical update app): Currently the VMs start, update starts, and then ...long time nothing..., then the list of packages updated.

Regards,
Ulrich

You can check out my github for some interesting stuff. The 'Qubes-scripts' project has a (serial) template updater that lets you select by certain criteria. It could be parallelized pretty easily.

Since you have a lot of templates+standalones, the 'findpref' tool might also be of interest. It can bulk search/replace VM prefs, such as changing all the VMs that are using 'sys-vpn1' to use 'sys-vpn3' instead, or change VMs to use a different template.

I also wrote 'wyng-backup', a fast LVM incremental backup tool that only scans where LVM reports new activity.

Finally, there is a VPN tool and one to enhance VM internal security.

I vote for the local proxy to cache updates. Is that not possible?

Would it not make sense if a Fedora-32 or Fedora-32-xx template downloads for example the latest Firefox that it should be cached locally. When the next Fedora-32 template checks for updates the system can check what the latest version is on the repository, if it is the same as the cached version use the cached copy. This will dramatically reduce update bandwidth requirements and make updating quick and painless no matter the number of templateVMs.

There must be a fancy way of making this secure. When an update is downloaded for the first time it is verified so we must ensure the cache's integrity. Maybe the downloaded files can be signed by the users own key kept in the vault AppVM.