On Wed, Feb 24, 2021 at 5:49 AM 'awokd' via qubes-users <
qubes-users@googlegroups.com> wrote:

> Steve Coleman:
>
> > I installed the stock Debian-10 rpm yesterday and it also fails to update
> > using the default proxy. The whonix templates based on Debian work
> because
> > they are using a different update vm.
> >
> > I really don't have a clue how all the Fedora templates work using the
> > exact same default update proxy while the Debian ones do not. I have not
> > made any deliberate custom modifications to any of the update settings,
> but
> > something obviously changed.
> >
> > My suspicion is on the receiving side proxy configuration in sys-firewall
> > but I don't know how to debug that. With the TERM setting being
> complained
> > about I am wondering how this proxy is being launched without a full set
> of
> > environment variables. This error text is in red, as coming through the
> > pipe, so its on the other side, not in the template itself. The update
> pipe
> > is not a terminal afaik so I don't know why the proxy would be
> complaining
> > it doesn't know the terminal type. But then why does the Fedora update
> > still work and Debian not using the exact same update gateway. Very odd.
> >
> I agree, sounds like something broken in sys-firewall given your other
> UpdateVM is working. You could change your templates to use the same
> UpdateVM as Whonix if you wanted to confirm. Otherwise, there's nothing
> special about the sys-firewall AppVM. If you don't mind recreating any
> firewall rules, try creating a new AppVM and confirm you don't get that
> TERM warning at the terminal. Next, change anything that points to
> sys-firewall for networking to the new one, and make it your new UpdateVM?

There is a package in the Fedora distribution that is causing this problem.
I switched both my sys-net and sys-firewall to use the new fedora-33
template that was just released and suddenly my Debian-10 could update
again. Then I started installing all the packages that I previously had in
my fedora-32 template and suddenly my Debian-10 update is broken again.

I then tried to revert back by switching both sys-net/sys-firewall vm's to
the fedora-33-minimal I had available but sys-net would not even boot up
using minimal. Switching it again to a default fedora-32 allowed it to boot
again. And sys-firewall blocked all network traffic using fedora-33-minimal
so again I needed to revert that back to a default fedora-32 to get back
online just to write this email.

Apparently, I need to reinstall a new fedora-33 template baseline and
painstakingly install all these packages one at a time while restarting
Debian-10 to try an 'apt-get update' between package installs. Somewhere
along the way, it will break and whatever I just installed will be the
culprit. I think I'll be doing a lot of cloning of templates creating
checkpoints along the way.

Steve