On Mon, Apr 18, 2022 at 06:04:59PM +0000, Michał "rysiek" Woźniak wrote:
> On Monday, 18 April 2022 15:40:32 GMT Michał "rysiek" Woźniak wrote:
> > > Have you considered using sys-gui-gpu instead?
> >
> > I have not, for a very specific reason: in the laptop in question, all
> > external video outputs are hard-wired to the nvidia card. That is, I
> > *cannot* use an external display *unless* I get the nvidia card to work,
> > somehow.
>
> Wait, that was almost certainly a brainfart. With sys-gui-gpu, the nVidia GPU
> would get passed-through to that VM, and so any driver installed there (and
> presumably more likely to work than in dom0) would also have access to all
> the
> external displays hard-wired to that GPU. Right?

Yup!  You can even assign the nvidia card to the VM while leaving the
iGPU in dom0.  If you do that, you will want to set your qrexec policies
to ensure that sys-gui-gpu can’t harm VMs it isn’t the GUIVM of.  That
basically means removing lots of Admin API access from it that it
doesn’t need.

> That's something I will try next then, and report back. Thank you for the
> suggestion!

You’re welcome!

--
Sincerely,