Update: I can use newer kernels if I remove device "Realtek Semiconductor
Co., Ltd. RTS525A PCI Express Card Reader" from sys-usb VM.
If it _is_ attached to that VM, the entire computer crashes upon sys-usb
start (when newer kernels are in use, it is fine with [very] old ones).

So I guess not having the card reader is my solution towards upgrading to
4.1.1....