On Mon, Dec 05, 2011 at 01:16:32PM +0000, Duncan, Paul A. wrote:
> So, to summarise my questions:
>
> 1) Is ntpd getting the PPS information?

Likely not.

I'm fairly sure that your problem is that you don't have the timepps.h
header installed (this is the header that defines the PPSAPI functions
and data types). If ntp's configure script can't find it, it won't
enable PPS support. It's available here:
<https://github.com/ago/pps-tools>. I can put it in /usr/local/include
and have it be picked up automatically on my Debian system; you might
need to add a "CFLAGS=-I/usr/local/include" to your ./configure
invocation if it doesn't find it automatically. If it was able to find
it, there should be a line "#define HAVE_PPSAPI 1" in config.h.

Once you do that and rebuild, ntpd should be able to see the PPS.

> 2) Should I put the "ldattach 18 /dev/ttyS0" command in rc.local -
> currently I'm running it manually after each boot.

I'm using udev to do that. I put the lines below in
/etc/udev/rules.d/09-pps.rules (which I created). The first line adds a
/dev/gps0 symlink to the serial port device, the second line runs
ldattach against the serial port, and the third line sets the ownership
and permissions of the pps device, and adds a /dev/gpspps0 symlink.

KERNEL=="ttyS1", SYMLINK+="gps0"
KERNEL=="ttyS1", RUN+="/usr/sbin/ldattach pps /dev/%k"
KERNEL=="pps0", OWNER="root", GROUP="tty", MODE="0660", SYMLINK+="gpspps0"