On 29/04/2014 14:33, Paul wrote:
On Tue, Apr 29, 2014 at 12:12 AM, David Taylor <
david-tay...@blueyonder.co.uk.invalid> wrote:

I would find it annoying to have to tell someone "Oh, but if you want to
pass on the time you need to uninstall what you have now and replace it
with the client/server version".

Clearly there was confusion.  I said I recall a distro that had two
packages.  E.g.

  - ntp-common with ntpd built as disable-all-clocks

and

- ntpd-server with ntpd built as enable-all-clocks.

viz. nfs-common.

There was a time when such things were considered good practice.

Oh, I can see where there might be advantages for custom builds, for embedded PCs where the RAM is very limited for example. But the more variants you introduce, the more opportunity for confusion there is, and the more support effort is needed.

99% of my users don't use "distros", they expect a double-click to install a package and make it ready-to-run. Same with tablets and phones, you don't need to choose the variant with or without camera support, with or without GPS support etc.

Web: http://www.satsignal.eu