Rob wrote:
Martin Burnicki <martin.burni...@meinberg.de> wrote:
Without having looked at the code base, I'm sure there are already
predefined macros available for the current build target/architecture.

So it should not be a problem to include something like

#if defined( SOLARIS )
   #include <timepps_solaris.h>
#elif defined ( SCO )
   #include <timepps_sco.h>
#elif defined ( LINUX ) || defined( FREEBSD )
   #include <timepps.h>
#endif

If this piece of code is required more than once it should be put into a
common header file which is included in all places where this is
required. No duplicate code.

Martin

The above is already there in the code, Martin.
The only point is that these timepps-SunOS.h, timepps-SCO.h and
timepps-Solaris.h files are included but the Linux version is not.

But we better stop discussing with Harlan.  He is a manager type
that knows zilch about the code yet always is commenting on the
proposed changes.  He wants money to hire people, of course because
he cannot get volunteers to work under his management.  Pity that
the ntp project has a character like that involved.  We better lose him.

Sorry, I strongly disagree with you here.

For many many years DLM has been the one with whom you had to discuss quite a lot to get some proposed changes/enhancements accepted.

Harlan has been (and still is) doing a great job for all these years, and often had to act as a mediator between other NTP developers and DLM.

I've personally also submitted a number of patches to the project. Unfortunately I've been pretty busy in my main job for quite some time, so I also haven't been able to care about some open bugs.

Even if I often agreee with what you are writing I also find it not very fair to accuse Harlan anonymously. It would really be better to help getting this improved.

Martin