What do you get when you type in these commands?

lapply(mzbtaxa, class)
lapply(mzbsites, class)

Do you get the same error if you use the as.is=TRUE argument in the
read.csv() function?

mzbtaxa<-read.csv("MZBTaxa.csv", header=TRUE, dec=",", sep=";", as.is=TRUE)
mzbsites<-read.csv("MZBSites.csv", header=TRUE, dec=",", sep=";", as.is=TRUE
)

Jean