On 2018-01-05 21:41, Rolf Turner wrote:

On 2018-01-05 20:52, Rolf Turner wrote:

In a help file that I am writing I wish to cite an item by a bloke whose surname is Weiß.

       Write it "Weiss".

       See "https://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/%C3%9F";.

       That name is written "Weiss" in Switzerland and Liechtenstein but "Weiß" in Germany and Austria.  German is the official language of Liechtenstein and the primary of four official languages of Switzerland.

       Standard high German has several characters that are not used in English but have standard transliterations using the English latin alphabet.  These include "ß" = "ss", "ä" = "ae", "ö" = "oe" and "ü" = "ue".

<SNIP>

I'm sure that you're correct, but I find it frustrating not to be able to produce a symbol (which is readily available elsewhere --- e.g. in LaTeX or from the keyboard using the "compose key") under the ".Rd" system.  I'd like to be *able to produce it*, even if I shouldn't! :-)

cheers,

Rolf

P. S.  It also seems to me to be polite --- if that's the way the bloke writes his name, then  that's the way that I ought to write it when referring to him.

      Agreed -- except that people who have not studied German would not recognize "ß" as sounding like "ss":  They might want to pronounce it "Weib" -- old German for "woman", though transliterated as "wife" -- very different from "Weiß" = "White".

      "Solzhenitsyn" is the English and Spanish transliteration of a name that appears in German as "Solschenizyn", French as "Soljenitsyne", and Russian as "Солженицын", according to Wikipedia (https://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/Aleksandr_Solzhenitsyn).

      Hope this helps.
      spencer

R.