There is precedent in the ecological literature for using a cosine
transformation IF you have reason to believe that your predictor varies
continuously and symmetrically in its effects around a circle.  For example, if
due east were the "most" exposure, and due west the least, with due north and
south being roughly equal, you could create a new predictor called
"east.exposure" with (most basically)

east.exposure = cos(exposure - PI/2)

Many more complicated extensions of this idea are possible, associated with
nonlinear or asymmetrical gradients, but I will leave that to you or others on
the list.

On Oct 15, 2013, at 9:59 AM, Peter Nelson wrote:

> I want to include the exposure (measured in degrees, for example, East-facing
> is 90) of various coastal sites in GLM and CCA analyses. Is there an
> appropriate transformation that I can apply to these measurements that will
> allow me to do this? I've found plenty of information on comparing headings,
> calculating means, etc, but nothing on how exposure might be used as a
> continuous independent variable.
>
> Treating exposure as a categorical variable (East, Southwest, etc) seems like
> a fallback option, but then there is just as much of a 'difference' between
> SE and E sites as there is between SE and NW sites!
>
> Thanks, Pete

Don McKenzie

Affiliate Professor
School of Environmental and Forest Sciences
University of Washington

d...@uw.edu