An alternative might be to consider cyclic splines in mgcv? this would
enable you to fit a gam(m) with two 'ends' (1deg and 359 deg) that match
up, but might allow more flexibility than combinations of sine/cosine?
something along the lines of  gam(response ~ s(exposure, bs='cc'),
family=...)
I've used it successfully to look at seasonal effects through the year. I
imagine it would apply to circular data too, but happy to be told
otherwise....
good luck!
cheers
rob

****** The new Bird Atlas is coming: http://www.bto.org/shop/bird-atlas
  *******

Dr Rob Robinson, Principal Ecologist
British Trust for Ornithology, The Nunnery, Thetford, Norfolk, IP24 2PU
Ph: +44 (0)1842 750050     E: rob.robin...@bto.org
Fx: +44 (0)1842 750030     W: www.bto.org/about-bto/our-staff/rob-robinson

====== "How can anyone be enlightened, when truth is so poorly lit" =======