This problem has bugged me for several years now,
and our own IT staff has tried a few things, but then never
cared enough to persist fixing it.

It *is* a bug in evince, the standard pdf viewer on Fedora and
IIUC also quite few other Linux distributions, and
*not* a bug in R;  hence I am asking for help/hints here.

A very simple example:

(pdfil <- paste0("plotmath-example_R",
                 with(R.version, paste0(major, sub("[.]", "", minor))), ".pdf"))
## "plomath-example_R433.pdf"

pdf(pdfil)
example(plotmath); mtext(R.version.string)
dev.off()

if(interactive())
    system(paste("evince", pdfil, "&"))

The pdf contains 4 pages, and in all of them *some* of the math
symbols are replaced by open rectangles -- because evince does
not find the fonts it should.

E.g.
- page 1: \pi is properly shown,  \phi not
- page 2: all greek letters,  \theta, \xi, \eta  are *not* shown

Simply typing

       example(plotmath)

in the R console will show you everything as it should be but is
not for us, using evince.

However, *everything* is rendered correctly, if I use very old
'xpdf' {which you may have to install

    ## OTOH: This always work fine with the very old  'xpdf' :
    system(paste("xpdf", pdfil, "&"))

So the fonts *are* somewhere on my machine, but evince does not
find them;

How should our IT people fix this?

IIRC they did install the Zapf Dingbats fonts -- which then are
found by xpdf but not by evince ?

Thank you in advance,
Martin