Looking at detail in cjg.png the northmost missing data island shows approx
20-25 in Southern three quarters and 0-5 the small North at tip of island.
Directly above this 0-5 another coastal 0-5.
If a substantial east-west scarp bisected the island it might explain. I
would otherwise expect a very slight mismatch in projection, a thing I
often have problems with.

Though reading raster::extract it looks like you want to employ the weights
are if your polys are relatively smaller than your cells.