On Sep 18, 2013, at 8:47 PM, John Fox wrote:

> Dear Sarah,
>
> It seems likely from the message that you reported that the problem isn't
> directly related to the Rcmdr package, but rather to the tcltk package on
> which the Rcmdr depends. Your student (and the other students who are
> experiencing problems) can verify this by trying to load the tcltk package
> directly, via library(tcltk), to see whether he gets the same error.
>
> It also seems apparent from the error message that there's a mismatch between
> the version of Tcl/Tk, presumably the one supplied with the R distribution,
> and the version of X-Windows.

That is not what I am reading. libfreetype.6 version 13 is the reported problem
with  a need to update to version 14.

> I'm not sure why that happened, and there was a previous message about a
> similar problem on the list. I suggested that the user install the current
> version of X-Quartz, but you student apparently already has done that. Is it
> possible that there's an old version of X-Windows on the student's computer?
>
> I assume that your students have been following the Rcmdr installation
> instructions for Mac OS X at
> <http://socserv.socsci.mcmaster.ca/jfox/Misc/Rcmdr/installation-notes.html>.
> Have any of them been successful? Are all the problems identical? You
> mentioned that another student installed a version of Tcl/Tk independently of
> R. I suppose that this could cause problems if the wrong Tcl/Tk is invoked.

I'm not really a student but maybe this will be useful anyway. There is a
version of Tk at:

http://r.research.att.com/src/tk8.6.0-src.tar.gz

... which appears to be the most up-to-date version. I'm actually running
version 8.5 with OSX 10.7.5

>From the Unix cmd line one can execute:

echo "puts [info tclversion]" | tclsh

... for find the installed version.

My XQuartz.app in the Utilities folder reports version 2.7.4

In the R64.app console:

> help(package='tcltk')
> install.packages("Rcmdr")

# I have 1.9.4 before installing version 2.0-0 which is what the CRAN gods are
delivering for my system.

trying URL 'http://cran.cnr.Berkeley.edu/bin/macosx/contrib/3.0/Rcmdr_2.0-0.tgz'
Content type 'application/x-gzip' length 3945755 bytes (3.8 Mb)
opened URL
downloaded 3.8 Mb

The downloaded binary packages are in

/var/folders/yq/m3j1jqtj6hq6s5mq_v0jn3s80000gn/T//RtmptEudZq/downloaded_packages
> library(Rcmdr)

Rcmdr Version 2.0-0

And the GUI panel pops up.

 The error message below says that libfreetype.6 is an old version and that you
need version 14.0 for libtk8.6

>From Unix cmd line:

otool -L /opt/local/lib/libfreetype.6.dylib

# ---- reports ___________
/opt/local/lib/libfreetype.6.dylib:
        /opt/local/lib/libfreetype.6.dylib (compatibility version 16.0.0,
current version 16.0.0)
        /opt/local/lib/libz.1.dylib (compatibility version 1.0.0, current
version 1.2.7)
        /opt/local/lib/libbz2.1.0.dylib (compatibility version 1.0.0, current
version 1.0.6)
        /usr/lib/libSystem.B.dylib (compatibility version 1.0.0, current
version 125.2.11)

> I too am teaching with the Rcmdr this Fall, and about half the students in my
> (small) class have Macs. None have experienced problems with the tcltk
> package or version 2.0-1 of the Rcmdr under R 3.0.1. Nor have I on my Mac,
> running OS X 10.8.5 and XQuartz 2.7.4
>
> Like you, I'm not terribly knowledgeable about Mac OS X. I expect that
> someone else on the list will be able to offer better help, and I've taken
> the liberty of copying this response to Simon Urbanek.
>
> I'm sorry that you're experiencing this problem.
>
> John
>
> On Wed, 18 Sep 2013 21:46:00 -0400
> Sarah Hardy <sarah.ha...@maine.edu> wrote:
>> I myself am not a Mac user, but I have about 6 students with Macs all
>> having the same (or similar) problem loading Rcmdr 2.0.1 on their Mac (but
>> have successfully installed R 3.0.1).
>>
>> One student has a Mac 10.7.2. I know he installed XQuartz-2.7.4.dmg and
>> then completely logged out and back in.
>> Before he did that he ran the "Repair Disk Permissions" in "Disk Utility".
>> Afterwards I checked "Verify Disk Permissions" and I didn't see any
>> warnings. When installing Rcmdr there are no unusual messages. The message
>> he gets in R when attempting to load Rcmdr  is:
>>
>> R version 3.0.1 (2013-05-16) -- "Good Sport"
>> Copyright (C) 2013 The R Foundation for Statistical Computing
>> Platform: x86_64-apple-darwin10.8.0 (64-bit)

>>> library(Rcmdr)
>> Error : .onLoad failed in loadNamespace() for 'tcltk', details:
>>  call: dyn.load(file, DLLpath = DLLpath, ...)
>>  error: unable to load shared object
>> '/Library/Frameworks/R.framework/Versions/3.0/Resources/library/tcltk/libs/tcltk.so':
>>
>> dlopen(/Library/Frameworks/R.framework/Versions/3.0/Resources/library/tcltk/libs/tcltk.so,
>> 10): Library not loaded: /usr/X11/lib/libfreetype.6.dylib
>>  Referenced from: /usr/local/lib/libtk8.6.dylib
>>   Reason: Incompatible library version: libtk8.6.dylib requires version
>> 14.0.0 or later, but libfreetype.6.dylib provides version 13.0.0
>> Error: package or namespace load failed for ‘Rcmdr’
>>
>> I'm not sure if this provides any clues, but I also ran this system
>> function:
>> .
>>> system("ls -ld /usr/local /usr/local/lib /usr/local/lib/libtcl*")
>> drwxr-xr-x   7 root  wheel      238 Mar 29 20:36 /usr/local
>> drwxr-xr-x  27 root  wheel      918 Sep 17 16:55 /usr/local/lib
>> -r-xr-xr-x   1 root  wheel  4820229 Oct 21  2008
>> /usr/local/lib/libtcl8.5.dylib
>> -r-xr-xr-x   1 root  wheel  1419604 Mar 29
>> 20:35/usr/local/lib/libtcl8.6.dylib
>> -rw-r--r--   1 root  wheel    11072 Oct 21  2008
>> /usr/local/lib/libtclstub8.5.a
>> -rwxr-xr-x   1 root  wheel     4824 Mar 29
>> 20:35/usr/local/lib/libtclstub8.6.a
>>
>> Another student with identical messages has a Mac 10.6.8. I think she
>> installed tcltk-8.5.5-x11.dmg.
>>
>> Any tips or suggestions on how to proceed would be greatly appreciated.

> [...]

David Winsemius
Alameda, CA, USA